Thursday, November 03, 2005

Update on my health

Thank all of you who have been praying for my health and my energy. I have really needed it, because my body has had some real ups and downs the last couple months. I am officially diagnosed with diabetes, as my blood sugar has been going through a roller-coaster ride. My doctor and I are working on a diet/exercise plan to maintain my health and energy. I have also been seeking healing prayer and have been praying to the Lord myself. I do believe that the Lord will grant me enough energy to do what He has appointed me to do, but at the same time, I think this time of testing will continue for a season.

I pray that it will only be for a season, but I also am constantly remembering the Lord's conversation with Paul in II Cor 12. When Paul asked for a "thorn in the flesh" to be removed three times, the Lord refused him and instead said, "My strength is made perfect through your weakness." I am personally feeling very weak, very human right now, although I understand it is far less than some of you have experienced. This difficulty is small for me, but the task I have been given is great, almost overwhelming. But if this weakness allows God's strength to displayed more perfectly through me, then I gladly accept it.

As I do my ministry, I am constantly reminded of Mother Theresa's words, "I know that the Lord only gives us as much as we can handle, but I wish he didn't trust me so much." At this point, the only way Anawim will be sustained is through the Lord's work. Not just His work in me-- because I am frail and weak and of limited ability and strength-- but also his work in other's who have been and will be participating in this ministry.

This is a difficult trust for me. I have been trusting in the Lord for his strength and power through me, and that is an easy trust to have because I know my heart is open to His will, as strange as it may seem sometimes. But it is harder to have trust that God will be working through others in such a way that I must lean upon them as well as God's miraculous power. Yet this is the situation I am in now. An opportunity to grow in trust in the Lord.

I thank all of you who have participated in our ministry up until this point. You have all been necessary to God's work in Anawim. I will ask you for nothing else. But I do ask this-- keep your ears and hearts open to the Spirit's leading. There may be a time ("and that time may never come"-- Bill Palmer quote) that the Spirit will ask you to do Anawim some additional work. I guess what I'm asking is: if the Spirit calls you, please listen. I have no back-up personal reserves right now to do the work the Spirit asks others to do.

Of course, I know the Spirit is leading you to participate in the ministries you are already in-- your churches, your families, your friends, your day-to-day work. And that should be your focus. But whatever additional small things the Spirit leads you to act for Anawim, I just want to let you know, we appreciate it.

A couple more things:
We have been delayed in sending our folks to hurricane country, but we now have a confirmed reservation to send three folks to Gulfport, Mississippi on December 4, for a week. Please continue praying for these folks.
Anawim has lost one of our major donors, through Birch Gleaners. But we have gained about a hundred gallons of dry food in a donation this month, which proves God's generosity again!
Also, if any of you are interested in my blog, I have been putting articles on it for two months now, so there is much to see. Also, the comment section is now opened up to everyone, and comments are certainly welcome. The address is, stevekimes@blogspot.com

Thanks for your prayers and counsel and assistance. May the Lord grant you peace in the same measure as you seek his peace.

No comments: